I’m approaching this new space as an experiment. While I’ve been writing and blogging for a while, my prose is generally pretty formal. I find myself trying to write things that are likely to be worth reading years from now as a way to get insight into thoughts or little projects. An effect of this is that most of my writing implicitly tries to justify itself by being significant in some way.
There’s a lot, in other words, that ends up being self-censored and never sees the light of day. This stuff is probably the good stuff. I’m an enormous fan of WordPress, but if this experiment goes well I can see myself switching everything here. We’ll see how it goes.
In the meantime, I’ve outlined a few general areas I’ll be likely to post about, and they are:
- Discursives, which will be short posts across a variety of subjects and not always with a connecting theme;
- Provocations, or little thoughts, observations, or references that could reframe traditional concepts or experiences;
- Inspiration, or standards worth striving for;
- People, which will be photos and/or profiles of fascinating friends and strangers;
- Spaces, which will be large or small environments that resonate;
- Stunts, or those things that pull me out of routine and into new experiences.
I think the art of great writing (and great blogging) is the act of having a conversation with yourself in a way that others can listen in. Fingers crossed that this ends up being something worth “listening in” on.